Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paging One Gibbs Slap


Ok, I totally clicked off the television thirty years ago only to somehow fall face first into things like NCIS, House and Bones.  And, of course, Craig Ferguson. But I'm already running off target. My point is, as much as I love acoustic blues harp it's a bit of a sacrilege to say that in this picture of harpist Sonny Terry with his long time partner Brownie McGee I'm convinced what was on Brownie's mind was the constant desire after hearing Terry's whooping and hollering and often nonstop playing to give his forced friend a Gibbs Slap.


I've had far less talented harp players sit in for a song with my band only to find they started blowing a note from the first of the song all the way through till a half-beat after the end. I know what it makes you feel like. Brownie handled it well, I suppose, knowing he had a harp genius sitting to his right -- he just wouldn't say diddley-squat to the guy on or offstage.


0 comments:

Post a Comment